The aims of the EAST (Environmental Advisory for Sustainable Trust )are the Restoration and Rehabilitation (R&R) programs to facilitate projects to reduce pollution, or environmental degradation of any kind. Through these projects, we also aim to improve the capacity of communities and organizations to protect, restore and enhance the environment. To ensure that the environment makes a positive contribution to the objectives of the EAST through the promotion and provision of support and the prioritization of activities that explicitly addresses the environmental issues and opportunities.
Long term Objectives:
- To start and run Educational Research Institutes for Environmental Studies
- To develop, maintain and run a reference Library and Data Centre with exhibit books, Journals (regional, national and international),monographs, working papers and various reports of International and national organizations, periodicals, films, video tapes and other audio visual materials as well as teaching aids and training materials from India and abroad
- To edit, translate, publish book, pamphlets, periodicals, educative and informative material that may be considered desirable for promotion of the aim of the Trust.
- To publish an international journal aimed at professionals in the field of environment and bring out such other periodic and non-periodic publications that may lead to further development of the Trust
- To organize lectures, seminars, conferences, workshops, study groups, debates, symposia and other programmes for various groups of people on relevant social themes such as environmental education, socio-economic development, women issues, human rights, cultural transformation, sustainable agriculture development and environmental protection in order to disseminate and create awareness of the issues
- To undertake research collaborative projects entrusted by the Government, semi- government bodies or other bodies sharing its aims
- To enhance the interaction between scientists and decision-makers through timely, credible, legitimate and relevant assessments and outlook for the environment
- To promote education for poor and deserving students by awarding scholarships, fellowship, stipends, prizes and any kind of monetary assistance with out interest in furtherance of any of the aforesaid aim of the EAST
Short term Objectives:
- To increase the awareness of the value and importance of environmental education
- To protect, restore and enhance important ecosystems and habitats of rare and endangered flora and fauna
- To minimize future environmental damage in regional, national and global level
- To work, manage and control the environment towards preventing depletion of a natural resource base for enhancing sustainable socio-economic development;
- To conduct educational research and out-reach activities oriented towards economic growth especially in rural areas for environmentally sustainable and socially equitable development
- To undertake scientific and statistical surveys and consultancy services for Government Agencies, NGOs etc., on specific requirements such as survey of crop pests, damage assessments and control measures
- To educate the farmers to adopt the sustainable way of farming, water management, and watershed management, herbal plantation and processing waste land development and social deed well for common irrigation etc. for the enlistment of small farmers
- To initiate action and bring out awareness among the farmers to use biofertilizers and biopesticides to reduce environmental degradation and sustainable development
- To fund and support to develop, participate, implement and disaster management strategies for natural calamities such as floods, droughts, cyclone, Tsunami, pestilence and earthquakes
- To actively promote environmental policies in all aspects of Programme management and implementation
- To affiliate to any regional, national, and international organizations including the United Nations organization and its specialized agencies and or to co-operate with them in all matters concerning and common interest of environmental awareness programme and welfare of the national weaker sections of the society.